Disclaimer: I am involved in iCharts as a co-founder, investor and an active board member.
Here are the facts:
* There are about 40 million charts online.
* If that seems a lot, compare that to 900 Billion charts that gets printed worldwide in a year.
Why the discrepancy? I think the reason is that there is no simple way to create and publish high-quality charts.
The most popular tool for creating charts is Microsoft Excel. However, Excel is not the best tool to create charts. Here are a few basic problems:
1. It is cumbersome to create charts on Excel
2. Excel created charts are not the best looking charts
3. There is no interactivity in the resulting charts. In fact, the resulting chart is an image.
4. Putting up an excel created chart online is similar to posting an image online.
5. Excel charts are not searchable (yet)
iCharts is a web-based service that makes creating and publishing interactive charts simple.
Here is a sample interactive chart created using iCharts. It took a fraction of the time it would have taken to create the same (but lower quality with no interactivity) chart using Excel. This iChart shows the medal tally from the recently concluded Olympics event.
You can see the expanded version of the iChart here.
iCharts is a free service. However, there is a premium version where you can download iCharts to embed them into office applications or in PDF documents
For a limited time (until we reach our target premium beta accounts) you can use the following code to get a premium beta account on iCharts
Invitation Code: rsettypremium6109
Welcome and experience creating and publishing interactive charts!Related Articles:
- “Beyond Code” release event – Delhi – Aug 31, 2006
- Top 25 Films of 2008 (based on box office earnings)
- Venture Capital Story in Q4 2008 – Now Told Visually…
- Bangalore – Speaking at an invitation only event
Posted in the Announcement category.
6 Comments so far, Add Yours
Leave a Comment