You can wish that office politics was not there or it just disappears one day from your office. The chances of that happening are the same as you winning a lottery. Office politics won’t affect you if you are not on the wrong end of it.
The key is to learn to deal with office politics even when you are not on the wrong end of it. So, if you do end up in the middle of something you are very well prepared.
Many people that I talk to go about saying why office politics is not good and how their company – they debate, argue and try to prove that the office politics should be eradicated. What they fail to observe is that their own line of thinking and arguments will make no difference to the situation whatsoever. So, rather than dreaming about a new world where there is no office politics, spend the same time strategizing how you willd deal with office politics. The latter has a better return on investment of your time
Each situation is different. Rather than offering tips or techniques, here are some ideas to consider while you craft your own plan:
1. Observe conversations (read: Observe rumors)
2. Build personal relationships
4. Watch your blind spots
Of course, the above is not a complete list. But should give you a good start to start thinking on this seriously.
Have a good weekend.
For other articles in the same series, please see my Squidoo Lens on the same topic
Squidoo Lens: Distinguish Yourself
- Ways to distinguish yourself – #1 Care as if its your own!
- Ways to distinguish yourself #146 – Master the “criteria audit”
- Ways to distinguish yourself – #41 Selectively forget things
- Ways to distinguish yourself – #113 Fine tune your accountability structures
Leave a Comment