OK this is a tricky one. I didn’t say “Focus.” I said “Set yourself up to focus better.”
Many things in life are like this. The event in itself will be a breeze if the preparation is right. A few examples:
* You want to perform better in a sporting event; prepare well beforehand
* You want to ace your exams; prepare well beforehand
Yes, they say preparation is not everything; performance on the day of the event matters. I agree. Preparation may not guarantee success but lack of preparation guarantees failure.
Now, coming back to the point: There is no question about “focus” being an important ingredient when you are at a task. However, while deciding to focus is easy, we all know that practicing it is hard. The trick is in preparing to focus. This is where setting yourself up to focus comes in. Let me give a couple of examples.
Blackberry and other tools: Blackberry is a great tool if you can control it. Typically it controls you. Some of my firends call it crackberry meaning they can’t leave without it. It is almost like a part of their body. While a blackberry kind of tool can help you with “always on” access to your emails, without discipline, it might be a big distraction when you want to focus on a conversation or just spending time with your family.
Setting up yourself for focus requires a lot of discipline and effort. If you set yourself up well, focus won’t be a big issue.
Good luck!Related Articles:
- “25 Ways to Distinguish Yourself” released at ChangeThis.com
- 25 Ways to Distinguish Yourself in Spanish – Translated by Carlos Padilla
- Ways to distinguish yourself #198 – Don’t focus on the “derivative” at the expense of the “core”
- Posted in the Distinguish yourself, Main Page category.
If you enjoyed this article, Get Life Beyond Code delivered by email or subscribe using your Feed Reader and RSS
Leave a Comment